Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Same Ocean Different Place

Just a few days ago I woke up, put on my board shorts,
t-shirt, and flip flops and casually set out to check the
waves. Along the way I met up with a few friends who
were engaged in exactly the same activity. We moved slowly,
drinking our coffee and sharing conversation. The air warmed
as the sun rose brightening up the lush tropical morning.

This week I wake up in a somewhat different state. The
comforter that has kept me warm all night seems like
a weight to be removed. I labor to put on the layers of capliene,
fleece, and down. The coffee needs to be hotter and my motivation
to go outside seems low. It's below 30 degrees and the wind
is blowing. Checking the waves isn't a leisurely experience. My
dog runs along the beach looking for other dogs to play with. They
are few and far between this time of year.

Hard to believe it's the same ocean, the same surf check.

No comments: