Friday, November 13, 2009

The Drifter

Last night I had the opportunity to see Rob Machado
and Taylor Steele's new movie "The Drifter". I'm not
giving anything away by telling you that it is a documentary,
of sorts, chronicling Rob's 6 month journey in Indonesia. It
was a journey intended, in part, to help Rob find himself. The
Drifter is one of the better "surf films" I've seen in a while. It is
visually beautiful, got me thinking on many levels, and of course
provided an opportunity to marvel at Rob's surfing skills and
style.

Many of us, I'm sure, have felt an urge to get away,
to embark on a journey and find ourselves, to figure out
what is important. Seems to me this is especially true during
those times of distress and emotional challenge, or when
we are overwhelmed and facing major life decisions or choices.
Ironically, one of the clients I saw not too long before going
to see the Drifter voiced their own feeling the need to get away.
"I'd like to just go off alone, with no phone, no responsibilities,
no expectations and get in touch with who I really am. I feel like
I've been lost, been playing a role, not really being me." they said.

It is often ironic how the lessons we learn from our own
drifting, our own journey of self discovery end up being so
simple, so basic. During the Q & A after the movie someone
asked Rob about some of the things he'd discovered. After
a brief pause he answered the question by talking about the
miracle of running water. You see he'd stayed in a village where
there was no well, no running water. Villagers had to walk 2-3 km.
just to fill their buckets. After his journey he'll not take that simple
thing, running water in the house, for granted ever again.

From time to time we all become drifters in an effort to
discover who we are and what is really important to us.
In this time of economic uncertainty, job loss, recession, and
change maybe we need some distance to help us gain a different
perspective, to look at the things we do have, like water, to help
us find contentment, to find some joy and happiness, to find our selves.

No comments: