Monday, August 18, 2008

Take it when you can

Today is my mother's 91st birthday.  As we ate lunch
we talked a bit about lifes lessons.  My mother certainly
isn't, or should I more aptly say wasn't, an east coast
surfer.  In fact I'm not really sure I've ever seen set foot in
the sea.  I do, however, have her to thank for my love
of the ocean.  But that's a story for another day.

My mother has never been a go for it, drop everything
kind of gal.  She spends lots of time fussing about things
she can't control and stays up nights worrying about all
sorts of things real and imagined.  I wish she could know
the sheer pleasure of dropping everything because the surf
was up.  To hell with all that stuff that "should" be done,
forget about those imagined worries,  the real ones will
still be there later.

Surfing, especially here on the east coast, has taught me
the importance of taking it when you can.  The waves, like
many of life's pleasures and joys might not be here later.
If we wait too long or put things off for another day too often
we just might miss out.  Reflecting on my mother's 91 years
I wish she'd had the ability to "do it" more and worry less.
Happy birthday mom.  I'm hoping I can make it to 91 and maybe ride
a wave or 2 at that...but I'm not going to worry about it.  I'm going
to take life when I can, each and every day.



No comments: